One of the greatest unsung movies of our time has got to be Boondock Saints. Well ok, stupid college kids found this movie about a week after I watched it and then it became cool. Well at least that's my story. Also it might not be the best movie ever. However asking me to pick my favorite movie is hard, especially when you've seen all the movies I have. I usually have to break my selections down by genre. However this movie has been my favorite for about 5 years now.
What makes this movie so cool you ask? You didn't? Oh well do it anyways. Well because it's my transition. Well I'm going to ask it for you!
1) They are Irish - with accents and all...Irish people are the best!
2) The comedy. - There is so much to laugh at. I don't want to give the best parts away. However I will say this, once you see a cat...pay attention to the cat. Also if you thought WIllem Dafoe is creepy...just imagine him...in drag! Ahhhh!
3) The cinematography is excellent. The way this film is shot is one of the best ways I've seen a movie filmed. I would put this as second on a list of best camera shots (Children Of Men being number 1).
4) The quotes - you will find this movie ladden with more quotes you can use than any Simpsons episode could ever give you. Things like "We're like 7/11. We might not be doing any business...but we're always open". Not to mention the prayer they give right before they make a hit. Poetry never bled this good.
5)Il Duce - watch the movie and be afraid...of Il Duce
6) One of the best speeches in a movie. For those of you who know me. You know one of my favorite movie speeches for a long time has been President Whitmore's speech from Independence Day. You also know that I can recite it on command, in my sleep, while eating peanut butter and crackers. The court room speech in this movie is right on par with that. You feel your heart palpitate, you feel your glands start to excrete, and you suddenly feel giddy.
7) Rocco - one of the funniest side kicks you've ever seen in a movie. You love him, you laugh at him, you feel for him.
8) The cat - watch the movie.
Boondock Saints, if you haven't seen it and love Punisher type movies (not Dolph Lugrand blasphemies but real Punisher movies), then watch this. You won't be disappointed. The fan base for this movie keeps growing and growing.
This movie might also make you want to go back to church again...just to see if God will choose you to be Irish...I mean to be his hit man!
Grade - A+
"In order to find his equal, an Irish man is forced to talk to God."