Saturday, June 21, 2008

Right At Your Door - Review

Right At Your Door

Thriller - noun - a work of fiction or drama designed to hold the interest by the use of a high degree of intrigue, adventure, or suspense. See also - this movie.

The plot of this movie is pretty simple but what it shows is simply amazing. Out of work musician Brad (Rory Cochrane) is passing the time at home while his wife, Lexi (Mary McComack), goes to work in Los Angeles. This is a day that starts off all too normal. Until....ALL HECK BREAKS LOOSE! Dirty bombs go off in the city, explosions ripple in the background, white powdery substance and ash fall from the sky. Choas insues, panic sets in, the dog eat dog world that we once knew just stepped up to a whole new kind of violence!

So what is this movie about? What does this movie show?

This movie shows one man as he attempts to survive in his home. No big budget shots of buildings in downtown L.A. collapsing, no massive amounts of military vehicles strollings through the streets, no sea of sick and dying masses of humanity in utter choas. What we see is one man, and his attempt to survive. Oh, we are introduced to a few other people here and there but when it comes down to brass tax it's about one man and survival.

Chris Gorak both writes and directs this saga that won him the cinematography award at the 2006 Sundance Film Festival and nominated for best drama. This guy, with the help of some really decent talent, can spin a tale using nothing more than the set of one house and the talent to shoot it in such a way that you are enthralled with what will happen next.

Grade - B

This really is an amazing tale. The setting kind of reminds me of what "Phone Booth" did in keeping pretty much the entire movie in one set location. While I liked "Phone Booth", I don't think it can even handle the amount of suspence that this movie has. Rory Cochrane does a great job at playing the everyday man who has to choose between self preservation and loving his wife enough to help her survive as best as possible. When someone asks me what movie I most got into and sent your system into shock with anticipation adrenaline, I point to this movie. I barely moved through this one and I know my heart rate wasn't normal resting pace either. The only flaw this movie has is that the pacing gets a bit bogged down at times and it just seems to kind of repeat itself after a while. Another small problem some might have, I know I did, was that the ending didn't make too much sense to me. I don't want to give anything away so I won't explain it further. I understand why the ending is the way it is, it just doesn't seem that logical to me. Still, I would recommend this movie to anyone who is looking for a good suspence thriller movie, without hesitation.

No comments: