Sunday, March 16, 2008

My Saturday With The Starz - Patrick

Man, Briney is really going to have to start posting something soon or you people are going to get sick of me fast.

I wanted to post my day yesterday because it is still movie related and you might get a kick out of the antics I observed and partook in.

For those who are regular visitors of my personal blog (http://agentx216.blogspot.com/) you've noticed that I have a pretty decent collection of celebrity autographs. Some I've been given, some I've received through the mail, and others I've gotten in person. Well on Saturday my dad, my brother, and myself went to Chicago to visit the Hollywood Collector Show (http://www.hollywoodcollectorshow.com/Rose.htm). There were a few people there that you might recognize, more if you're an older person. I was there to get one person's autograph.

I was there for the great B Movie director himself, Bert I. Gordon (http://imdb.com/name/nm0330026/). Mr. Gordon has the distinction, I don't know if it's an honor or not, of having the most movies riffed on the cult show Mystery Science Theater 3000. Since I've seen every episode of MST3K, I've seen a lot of Mr. Gordon's work. Also being a fan of great B Movies, especially older B Sci-Fi movies (the days before computers destroyed sci-fi movies and plots didn't have to be so epic), it was a great honor for me to meet him. I'm usually a little star struck with most of the people I meet but my personality lets me talk with these people and ask them questions without getting too flustered.

I made a picture with some of the posters from his movies. It was made up of six movies that I loved from MST3K show (he had 8 total shown on the show) and two that I just liked that I saw not on MST3K. The below is the photo I made with Mr. Gordon's signature.




























He was really impressed with the photo I made and complimented me on it. His daughter, who has also been in other movies, saw it too and was really impressed as well. She asked if she could take a picture of it but was unable to find her camera. I told her I'd just email it to her. This is the second photo that I made personally that I got complimented on. I should go into business making these up for celebrities. Although with some of them if they asked me my inspiration, I wonder if they would get mad with me telling them "Well I just picked the scenes/movies that were 'bad' enough to make MST3K"?

So he signed the picture and I even got my picture taken with him!























































If you go to my personal blog site and find the posting named "Famous People I've Met" you'll see that I've worn that Pi t-shirt to every event...ya, I'm cool like that.

I got to talk to him about his movies and some of the effects he used and how we would write his stories. It was a blast talking to him. I think he was kind of impressed how much I knew about his work with me being so young. Meeting him was a big highlight.

I also saw a few other people whom you might know.

Erik Estrada was there (http://imdb.com/name/nm0261805/)



















He was a really nice guy too. I was afraid my image of Ponch would change after seeing him in real life. Not at all. He talked to people, was very friendly, stood for pictures with anyone, and look at that smile. He was a great guy.

I also got a picture of two Lois Lanes. The first is Noel Neil (http://imdb.com/name/nm0624747/) who played the second Lois Lane from the old TV show with George Reeves. The other was Margot Kidder (http://imdb.com/name/nm0452288/) from the Superman movies with Christopher Reeves (no relation).



















So Saturday was a really fun day for me and I thought I'd share it with the rest of you.

Don't forget to check out the Film Geeks show, Episode 6, Sunday at 8PM EST or download it/listen to it later in the week. http://www.talkshoe.com/tc/14391. This Sunday our topic is comics that were made into movies. Enjoy, won't you?!

No comments: